Skip To Main Content

Our Story


Founded by the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) as a high school, it was first named Detroit College and was located in the Trowbridge Mansion on Jefferson Avenue in Detroit.


The first college-level classes were added.


The school moved to a larger facility, Dowling Hall, to accommodate the growing student population.


The name Detroit College was officially changed to the University of Detroit.


The school moved to its current location on South Cambridge Avenue and 7 Mile Road in Detroit. The decision for the school to stay in the city of Detroit was a decision to support and to create a school that would serve the residents of Detroit.


The school's current gymnasium was opened and was the largest high school gym of the time. Additionally, the Jesuit residence was expanded to accommodate the increase number of Jesuits living on campus.


The Academy (7th and 8th grades) was established to create a feeder system for the high school. Starting in 1973, the 8th grade was added, followed by the 7th grade in 1974.  This helped boost enrollment which provided financial stability.


Many people connected to the school advocated relocating to the suburbs to stabilize enrollment, finances, and resources. The potential move was also supported because many institutions, including several Catholic high schools, were moving out of Detroit to suburban locations. However, after much prayer and examining the Jesuit mission for the school, the Jesuits remained committed to providing the highest quality, college prep, Catholic and Jesuit education within the City of Detroit.


The school launched a $25 million capital effort to renovate and construct existing and new facilities to accommodate an increasing enrollment. The campaign "Reclaiming Our Future" created new classrooms, an art room, a band room, computer labs, a student atrium, a cafeteria, a new library and media center, a state-of-the-art faculty/staff resource center, and a significant restoration of the school chapel (titled the Chapel of the Jesuit Martyrs of North America, to whose patronage the school was dedicated at its opening in 1931).


The state-of-the-art $16 million Science and Engineering Center opened on campus that fall, making it the most significant dollar investment in science and technology at any Michigan high school in recent years. The four-level, 40,000-square-foot addition to The High doubles the school’s space for biology, chemistry, and physics programs while also providing labs for engineering and research. The eco-car and robotics programs also benefit from the added workspace.

2019 - 2021 

U of D Jesuit completed the purchase and renovated the vacant Johnson Recreation Center on Chippewa Avenue.  The $7.5 million renovation of the 30,000-square-foot recreation center, completed in late 2021, includes a gym, locker rooms, indoor fields, and community meeting spaces. The PARC, as it is also known, has three newly surfaced outdoor soccer and lacrosse fields covering the 10.5 acres and indoor field space available. The facility also serves the neighborhood for association meetings and youth activities throughout the year.

Trowbridge Mansion - First home of The High in 1877

Dowling Hall - Second home of The High in 1890

1930 - A new building is constructed and The High moves to South Cambridge / 7 Mile Rd. in Detroit at the start of the 1931-32 school year.

U of D Jesuit High School and Academy today

Johnson Recreation Center, also known as PARC (Performance, Athletics, Recreation, Community Campus ) is open year-round for indoor and outdoor athletic use, study halls and community space for meetings or continued learning.