About Our Hockey Program
The University of Detroit Jesuit Hockey Team offers a unique and unparalleled development model for high school hockey players. Not only do athletes learn the essential skills, tactics, and strategies of the game, but they also experience personal growth and development through positive coaching principles.
With a focus on individual improvement and a commitment to excellence, our team provides a high-quality experience that is second-to-none in the world of high school hockey.
Hockey Program Overview
Since 2005, we have advanced to the State Frozen Four six times (2005, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2023). Competing regularly against the best teams in the state as part of the Michigan Independent Hockey League (MIHL) has helped prepare our student-athletes for the postseason.
Off the ice, our players strive to achieve academic excellence having received Academic All-State honors for the past 26 seasons. We have also had eight players move on to continue their academic and hockey careers in Division I programs.
Paul Moretz – Head Coach & Program Director
26 Years Coaching, 15 High School, 11 AAA 9 Michigan State Champions & 6 National Finalists 2020 MHSAA Coach of the Year Level 4 USA Cert & USA Officials Cert USA Hockey Selects & Turcotte Coach
Nathan Riley – Asst. Varsity Head Coach
10 Years High School Coaching General Mgr Meijer State Games Level 4 USA Cert
Rob Liddell – Goalie Coach
Director of Pro & Prospects Dev @ Future Pro Coached at Junior, College & Professional levels Played at ACHA – D1 level with Eastern Michigan
Jeff Fleming – Asst. Varsity Head Coach
28 Years Coaching, 17 High School, 5 AAA 2 MHSAA State Championships, 5 Frozen Four 5 Michigan State Champions & 5 National Finalists Current MIHL Board VP, Team Michigan & 8 Years MI HS Coaches Association
Domenic Recchia '06 – Jr Varsity Head Coach
8 Years U of D Jesuit High School Coaching
2 Years Suburban Instructor
9 Year Player: Cubs, Juniors & NCAA
Michael Downing – Detroit Maroon Player Development
U17 US National Team
D1 UofM 2013 2016
5 years ECHL/AHL Juniors
NHL Entry Draft 4th Rd (#97) Florida Panthers
HIGH SCHOOL ACADEMY
University of Detroit Jesuit is the oldest continuously operating high school in Detroit. Founded in 1877, it has educated young men to be – “Men for Others” – through academic excellence, faith, character formation, and community service for almost 150 years. It remains Metro Detroit’s most ethnically, geographically, and culturally diverse school.
When you meet our graduates, you will find that they are leaders: in the business world, in the arts, in religious life, in politics, in the sciences and technology, in sports, and especially in the community. It is a goal of our school and of Jesuit education to prepare our young men to be leaders-- to engage the world, not just to observe it.
MISSION: We are committed to fostering a safe environment where student athletes will be challenged to grow both personally and as an athlete while learning to work for one another to achieve a common goal.
VISION: Our development model is unmatched in high school hockey. This high-quality experience is one where every athlete not-only learns skills, tactics and strategies of the game, but they improve as a player and individual while being coached using principles of positive coaching.
- MIHL is arguably the strongest high school league in Michigan
- MIHL often produces the State Champions in all three divisions
- Cubs have advanced to the state frozen four in 2005 and 2013 thru 2016
- Eight Cubs have gone on to play DI College Hockey
- Cubs have made Academic All-State Honors in all 26 seasons of existence
- Our hockey program is a full year program however, we support multisport athletes
Other Interesting Facts
- UofD hockey practices after school leaving evenings for family time and studies.
- Most games take place on weekends. We travel only one weekend during the season and that is for our annual pilgrimage to the Upper Peninsula to take on Calumet and Houghton.
- UofD has four bus routes that offer another option for getting to and from UofD (Northside, Eastside, Westside and Southside).
- UofD also has a strong ride-share network in the school and in the hockey program for getting students to and from school and practice.
- Transportation from school to the rink during the winter season is provided. UofD to Viking Arena is about 6 miles apart
- UofD Hockey has a strong Summer and Fall program that complements our Winter Season. We support multi-sport student athletes.
- Detroit Maroon Hockey is the “out-of-season” development program for UofD Hockey.
- UofD plays in the MIHL, arguably the toughest high school hockey league in the state. We compete for state titles in Division 2 (dictated by size) but play our season across all divisions. We complement our schedule outside of the MIHL to give us the most challenging & the highest visibility for our program.
- Head Coach Paul Moretz can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 810-650-3702.